Thursday, August 30, 2012

At Risk Data

The past few days at school I have been putting together my at-risk data for the elementary. Nothing too exciting, but part of my job! Part of my salary is paid with at-risk dollars, so each year I have to demonstrate how much time I have spent working with students who are identified as at-risk. I'm sure that a lot of you are involved with identifying who is at risk, so I'm am posting the spreadsheet in case it will be helpful to anyone else!!

At Risk Spreadsheet

Throughout the year each time I see a student for counseling, I have them fill out a piece of paper regarding what they would like to talk about (or I fill it out for them if they cannot write yet). I then put in the spreadsheet how many times the student and I met, and what we did (as far as individual counseling, small group, parent conference, etc.) I do not go into great detail, since our at risk coordinator looks at the data as well. I do this for each student I see, whether or not I think they will be at risk. Then at the end of the year (or beginning of the following year!), I print off a list of students who had a D or F in math or reading, and a list of absences for all students. I enter this data into the spreadsheet for all students that I saw the previous year.

I also mark if they are disconnected to the school, which is just a judgement call for me. If they have expressed that they do not like school, or frequently fight with other teachers/students and are not involved in any school activities, I will mark disconnected to school. I also add if a they see an outside counselor or have a DHS worker. After doing all this, I go back and delete students from the spreadsheet that I did not mark yes to meet any of the absence, grade, or school disconnect data. If I marked yes for one of those areas, I will count them as at-risk.

I know each school probably has different criteria for determining who is at-risk, but this way works for me!! Doing paperwork is one of my least favorite things to do as a counselor, so it is nice to have a way to do it quickly and get it done :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I will definitely use this and you have saved me some time!

    ReplyDelete