Monday, January 10, 2011

Angry Arlene, The Grumpy Red Jellybean


Well now that we have been in school for about a week now, it is time to get some new groups started up! One group that I am starting for some of my Prep and Kindergarten students is an Anger Management group.

We are using this great curriculum that I picked up at the ISCA State Conference this year, it is called Jellybean Jamboree! I knew this curriculum would be fun when I saw that each unit features a different jellybean. The anger management unit jellybean is called Angry Arlene, The Grumpy Red Jellybean! I have made a Angry Arlene puppet out of cone of the puppet templates for the unit. I am thinking about letting the students make Angry Arlene puppets as well to take home.

The first group lesson is about finding a quiet place to calm down. Our Prep teacher has a teepee in her room, so we may even take a "field trip" to her room to practice calming down in the teepee! After practicing going to a quiet place to calm down, we will come back to the guidance to work on the worksheets included in the curriculum. One is a connect-the-dot of Angry Arlene, and in another they will draw a picture of their quiet place. The curriculum is for PreK-2, and it is right on their level. I love how there is an emphasis on colors, letters, and rhyming.

I am keeping this group very small, right now I have three boys in the group but could open it to four. Because of the anger issues and social development of the students I have chosen, I want to keep this group as small as possible. I feel confident thought that I have picked a great group of boys, and I am looking forward to starting our group!

3 comments:

  1. How did your group go with this book? Did you think it was worth the purchase? I am considering buying it to use in my classroom but have been unable to find any reviews. It would be great if you could share a few thoughts with me! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used this book for guidance lessons in small groups and individually. It is easy to use and kids really connect with it. I thought it was worth the money :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely worth the money! I have used it for the past two years now with Kindergaten and 1st Grade groups . . . . the kids really connect to the characters, and the worksheets have some valuable lessons that the kids can take home with them!!

    ReplyDelete