Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Reading About Fairness - The Sneetches


This month in guidance, our theme throughout the school is fairness. One book that I like to read to the students is The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss. I am using this book in my lesson in 5th grade this month.

If you haven't read The Sneetches, I recommend that you go out and get it! The Sneetches are creatures who are divided - some have stars on their bellies, and some do not. The Sneetches who do not get treated differently because they do not have a star. The Sneetches and other stories that are in the book focus on how senseless and unfair prejudice can be. The Sneetches figure out that it's what's on the inside, not what's on the outside that counts!
To guide our group discussion after the book, I am

using a lesson plan from the book What's The Issue? This book is meant to be used as a guide for a small group/book club, which I am interested in starting as well, but for now I have been using it to integrate books and discussion into my guidance lessons. In our discussion we will focus on celebrating differences in individuals, identifying stereotyping in the story, discuss different ways prejudiced people treat others, and understand what respect for all people means.


Here are some other activities that you can use with this book. They come from Seussville.com!








2 comments:

  1. This is nice way to school Counseling.I am impress from your blog and thanks for this updated blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. Please read this nice story. This is especially for students and a school counselor..

    ReplyDelete